Friday, June 12, 2009

Tortillas!!! Ole!!!



Today Mali and I made tortillas from scratch. We were out of tortillas and a few days from pay day so I decided to get creative. It was a lot of fun and not hard at all. They were pretty good, although not as thick and good as Rosa's. I look forward to experimenting more and perfecting the art of tortilla making and making them for our family Taco Tuesday! Eric didn't think I could do it so I'm anxious for him to try them to see what he thinks. They turned out good, a little more crispy, but hey, they are from scratch, I'm not sure I can achieve the machine made texture! And, its certainly not as convenient as grabbing $1.26 tortillas off the shelf!
Anyway, here is the recipe since a few people asked for it! I found it in "How to Cook Everything" by Mark Bittman.

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour (I substituted 1/2 cup regular flour for whole wheat flour)
1/4 tsp salt
2 tablespoons lard, butter or canola or other neutral oil (I used Crisco to make it a little healthier and want to experiment with olive oil too)
About 1/2 cup warm water

1. Combine flour and salt in a bowl or food processor. Pulse in the fat or cut it in with knives
2. add water slowly just until dough forms a ball. Knead on a lightly floured surface, 4-5 minutes by hand
3. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and let it sit in refrigerator for a few hours.
4. Divide dough into 6 pieces, press each piece into a disk and then roll it out as thin as possible
5. Heat a large skillet over medium heat for 5 minutes. One at a time, cook tortillas on the griddle until brown spots begin to appear; turn and cook the other side.

1 comment:

  1. Yum! One of my best friends makes homemade tortillas and they are delicious! I think they're a little bit of a pain to make though.

    ReplyDelete