Friday, September 14, 2007

Plug

As most of you may know, I am a Licensed Professional Counselor/National Certified Counselor and have training in play therapy. I believe that this was the first calling that God put on my life, but then He changed my primary calling to that of staying at home to raise Mali. In Lubbock I was able to see a few clients based on my connections at Buckner as my past employer, but moving to Amarillo I have no "connections". I am not sure that this is highly professional, however I'm posting this because I have a desire to help children in need, if they are out there. I accept Medicaid and private pay, but no other insurances, and have no office at this point. My mode of treatment is primarily play therapy, or tote bag therapy, as I bring a "tote bag" of play therapy specific toys to the child's home. Eric and I have decided that it may be in the best interest of our family at this point for me to pick up a few clients, if there is a need out there. So, if you know of any one that this might help, please forward this information on, and read the information below concerning play therapy! I so appreciate it! Thank you so much for letting me plug my services!


Throughout their lives, most children go through difficult times, such as the divorce of their parents, trouble making friends, or adjusting to changes at school or home. Some children need more help than others to get through these times. If you or other adults in your child's life are concerned about your child's behavior, play therapy can help.

What is play therapy?
Play therapy is to children what counseling is to adults. Play therapy utilizes play, children's natural medium of expression, to help them express their feelings more easily through toys instead of words.
Play Therapy is the most appropriate method of treatment for children who are having difficulties coping with life situations. Though children lack the cognitive skills to express themselves with words, they are fluent in the language of play. Play therapy allows them to express themselves in the way in which they are most comfortable.

What's the difference between play therapy and playing with my child at home?
Play therapists are specifically trained to provide an environment of acceptance, empathy and understanding in the play therapy room. Play therapy is not the same thing as playing. Play therapy uses the child's natural tendency to "play out" their reactions to life situations, in the presence of a trained play therapist, to help the child feel accepted and understood and gain a sense of control or understanding of difficult situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment